Official Rules for RIF's World of Narnia Art Contest
Please be sure to read each rule carefully before preparing your artwork for this contest. Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overview of Artwork Entry Rules:
1) Each entry must be the original work of a child between the ages of 5-15. (Adults may give verbal assistance, but they cannot add to the artwork.)
2) Entries must represent imagery, themes, or any interpretation of the world of Narnia featured in C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia book series.
3) Entries must be on poster board or thick paper that is 18 by 24 inches. Entries drawn on smaller-sized paper must be mounted on 18-by-24 inch paper. The posters must be on white or off-white, unlined paper. They may be created with any art media such as tempera paint, chalk, markers, crayons, photographs, or digitized art. (All artwork using pencil, charcoal or chalk must be sprayed with a fixative or covered with a transparent wrapping to prevent smudging.)
4) Writing on the poster is discouraged, but not against the rules. No copyrighted slogans, logos, or other materials are permitted.
5) Entries must arrive at RIF’s national office by 5 p.m. on November 7, 2005 and must have an official RIF entry form securely taped to a bottom corner on the BACK of the poster. Limit one entry per child. Ship the poster in a flat package marked, “POSTER ENCLOSED. DO NOT BEND.” RIF suggests using a mailing service if you are concerned about tracking the package. RIF staff will not be able to tell you if/when an entry was received. RIF is not responsible for lost, stolen, illegible, incomplete, misdirected, damaged, postage-due, or late mail submissions.
Mail submissions to:
World of Narnia Art Contest
Reading Is Fundamental
1825 Connecticut Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20009
6) Failure to meet all of the requirements above will result in a poster’s disqualification.
7) Artwork will not be returned. Entries will become the sole property of Reading Is Fundamental, Inc. and may be used, reproduced, distributed, modified, or displayed by RIF, or its partners, for any purpose that benefits or is otherwise useful to RIF. Entrants also assign any claims that have accrued or may accrue in the rights of the poster, whether known or unknown.
8) A panel of contest judges will select two grand prize winners and 10 runners up. Winners will be judged in two different age groups: 5-9 and 10-15. One grand prize winner and five runners up will be selected for each age group category. Each of the winners will be notified by phone, mail, or e-mail in late-November 2005.
9) Winner and winners’ parent/legal guardian must sign and return a publicity release to grant permission to Reading Is Fundamental, Inc., Walden Media, Walt Disney Pictures, HarperCollins, and organizations acting under the authority of Reading Is Fundamental, Inc. to use the winner’s name, winning entry, photograph, voice and/or likeness, for publicity purposes, without additional compensation.
By entering the contest, entrants accept and agree to these rules and the decision of the judges, which shall be final.
Full Official Rules:
1. SPONSOR: Reading Is Fundamental, Inc., 1825 Connecticut Ave.,N.W., Suite 400,
Washington, D.C. 20009, who is solely responsible for all aspects of this contest
2. ELIGIBILITY: Contest is open to children not younger than 5, nor older than 15, who
are legal residents of, and physically located within, the 50 states, D. C. or Canada
(excluding Quebec) (“Territory”). There will be the following two classes of contestants
(“Class”): (1) contestants not younger than 5, nor older than 9 and (2) contestants not
younger than 10, nor older than 15.
3. ENTRY: To qualify, the entry must be:  a poster embodied or mounted on a poster
board or thick paper 18” x 24”, which is white or off-white and unlined (“Poster”); 
created with any art media such as tempura paint, chalk, markers, crayons, photographs
or digitized art;  sprayed with a fixative or covered with a transparent wrapping to
prevent smudging if the artwork uses pencil, charcoal or chalk;  composed of imagery,
themes or any interpretation of the World of Narnia featured in C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of
narnia book series;  submitted with a completed Sponsor’s official entry form, which is
available on this page, taped securely to a bottom corner on the back of the
Poster and  shipped to Sponsor’s above address in a flat package marked, “POSTER
ENCLOSED. DO NOT BEND” (“Entry”). Failure to meet all of the above requirements will
result in disqualification of the Entry. Sponsor suggests using a mailing service if you are
concerned about tracking the Entry.
3. LIMITATIONS: Each Entry must be received at Sponsor’s above address by 5:00 P.M.,
November 7, 2005. For purposes of these Official Rules (“Rules”), all times and days are
Eastern Time. Only one entry per person. Entries must be the original work of the
contestant and must not infringe upon third party rights, nor previously have won awards,
nor been published, nor contain any copyrighted slogans or logos. Employees of
Sponsor, its parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies; the advertising, promotional and
fulfillment agencies of each of them (individually and collectively, “Entities”) and members
of their households and immediate families are ineligible. Neither the Entities, nor any of
their officers, directors, shareholders, employees, agents or representatives
(individually and collectively, “Releasees”) are responsible for Entries from persons
residing, or physically located, outside the Territory; printing errors; or Entries that are
altered, defective, delayed, destroyed, fraudulent, illegible, inaccurate, incomplete, invalid,
late, lost, multiple, mutilated, postage-due, stolen, tampered with, unauthorized,
unintelligible or unqualified, even if caused by the negligence of any of the Releasees.
Each of such potential Entries will be disqualified. Void where prohibited or restricted by
law and subject to all applicable federal, state, provincial, local and municipal laws.
4. PRIZES: Two (2) GRAND PRIZES (one for each Class): Each Grand Prize consists
of a prescreening movie party for winner and up to two hundred (200) of his/her guests
(“Party”) in a Sponsor-selected location in a city near winner’s residence and a reading-
art package (“Package”) consisting of the following elements: (1) one (1) $50 book-
buying gift certificate; (2) one (1) set of Chronicles of Narnia books from HarperCollins
Children’s Publishing; (3) movie merchandise from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden
Media; (4) one (1) RIF Reading Planet t-shirt and (5) copy of artwork featured in an
online art gallery on the RIF Reading Planet website. All expenses not specifically
mentioned herein are not included and are solely the winner’s responsibility, including
but not limited to: transportation to the Party, parking fees, food and beverages. Party
is subject to availability, certain restrictions, blackout dates and Sponsor’s approval.
Ten (10) First Prizes (five (5) for each Class): Each First Prize consists of one (1)
Limit one prize per person. Prizes are not redeemable for cash or transferable. No
substitution allowed except, at Sponsor’s sole discretion, a prize of equal or greater value
may be substituted. All prizes will be awarded provided a sufficient number of eligible
Entries are received and prizes validly claimed by December 1, 2005, after which no
alternate winners will be selected, nor unclaimed prizes awarded.
5. PROCEDURES: Contest begins September 1, 2005, and ends at 5:00 p.m.,
November 7, 2005. On or about November 16, 2005, Entries will be judged by Sponsor,
who will select winners on the basis of whether the Entry easily and immediately conveys
a representation of the world of Narnia and offers an original, colorful and well-designed
6. WINNERS: Potential winners will be notified by phone on or about November 21,
2005. All legal responsibilities of a minor under the Rules will be assumed by the
parent/legal guardian (“Parent”). Disqualification and the selection of an alternate winner
may result from any of the following:  potential winner’s failure to respond to notification
within ten (10) days after its mailing;  the return of any notice or prize as undeliverable;
 potential Grand Prize winner’s failure to execute and return an Affidavit of
Eligibility/Liability/Publicity Release within ten (10) days after its mailing;  potential
Grand Prize winner’s failure to be available to attend the Party;  potential winner’s
failure to claim a prize within ten (10) days after it is sent;  potential winner’s failure to
validly claim a prize by December 1, 2005 and  any other non-compliance with Rules.
Grand Prize winner and guests must attend the Party together. All taxes are solely the
responsibility of each winner; and the Grand Prize winner will receive an IRS Form 1099
reflecting the final actual value of the Grand Prize. For list of winners, please visit the RIF
website after November 28, 2005.
7. CONDITIONS: Each contestant by entering the Contest agrees that:  he/she will
abide by and be bound by the Rules and Sponsor’s decisions;  he/she irrevocably
assigns and transfers to Sponsor and its assigns all rights in the Entry, including, without
limitation, all copyrights;  Entry will not be acknowledged or returned;  he/she grants
to Sponsor and its assigns the right to publish, use, adapt, edit and/or modify such Entry
in any way and in any and all media, without limitation, and without consideration to
contestant;  the Releasees are not responsible for claims, injuries or losses of any kind
resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the awarding, delivery,
acceptance, use, misuse, possession, loss or misdirection of any prize or participation in
this Contest or in any activity or travel related thereto;  the prizes are awarded “AS IS”
and WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, express or implied, (including, without
limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose); 
winner’s acceptance of a prize constitutes the grant of an unconditional right to use
winner's name, address (city and state or province only), likeness, prize information
and/or statements about the promotion for any publicity, advertising and promotional
purposes without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law;  in the
event unauthorized human intervention, Acts of God, acts or regulations of any
governmental or supra-national authority, war, national emergency, accident, fire, riot,
strikes, lock-outs, industrial disputes, acts of terrorism or other matters beyond the
Sponsor’s reasonable control, corrupt, prevent or impair the administration, security,
fairness or proper play of this Contest, so that it cannot be conducted as originally
planned, the Sponsor has the right to cancel, terminate or suspend the Contest; and in
such event, to select winners from among all eligible entries received up to such time of
cancellation, termination or suspension;  the Releasees are not responsible for
typographical or other errors in the offer or administration of this Contest, including but not
limited to: errors in the advertising, Rules, selection and announcement of the winners
and distribution of the prizes;  any portion of any prize not accepted or used by any
winner will be forfeited and  the Releasees are not responsible for any inability of any
winner to accept or use any prize (or any portion thereof) for any reason.