2013 Anne Richardson Volunteer of the Year Award:
2013 Nomination Guidelines
By offering national recognition for the extraordinary contributions of volunteers, RIF seeks to inspire others to excel in their service to children's and family literacy.
2013 VOYA Schedule at a Glance
Use the schedule below to help you plan your volunteer recognition.
October 23: Open call for nominations announced
November 21 (day before Thanksgiving): Nominations close
Week of January 7: Formal notification of awardees
February TBD: Public announcements of awardees
March TBD: Awardees contacted regarding planning of Congressional visits
May 7: Awardees arrive in DC; casual introductory dinner
May 8: Capitol Hill meetings; social time at RIF office & intro to RIF Board
May 9: Hill visits or free time; Gala
May 10 : Awardees return home
2013 VOYA Nomination Guidelines
- Any outstanding RIF volunteer coordinator, parent volunteer or community volunteer 18 years of age or older with a relationship to RIF is eligible for nomination. Previous winners of the award are ineligible.
- Nominees may be nominated by RIF volunteers and coordinators, authorizing officials, sponsors of RIF programs or sites, parents, and others with a thorough knowledge of the volunteer's qualifications. RIF may request additional materials to supplement the nomination and/or contact nominators/nominees by phone before selection of winners.
- Nomination forms for the national competition must be submitted online to RIF's national office by November 21, 2012. Reading Is Fundamental, Inc, is not responsible for lost, stolen, incomplete, or misdirected submissions.
- An independent panel of judges representing volunteer leadership and children's and family literacy at the national level will select the three winners. Winners will be notified in early January 2013.
- Judges will select three winners.
All three winners will demonstrate dedication to helping children discover the joy of reading.
- The 2013 Anne Richardson RIF Volunteer of the Year Award winners will receive a Macy’s Multi-Cultural Book Collection and a special award of books to a RIF program designated by the awardee, and award plaque. Additionally, winners will receive an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington, D.C. The trip to Washington, D.C., includes round-trip transportation to and from the winner's residence, standard hotel accommodations for 3 nights, meals for the duration of the trip (based on the RIF approved staff travel expenditure scale) and local travel expenses within Washington, D.C. Trip to Washington, D.C., must be taken on the dates to be determined and specified by RIF. Travel/accommodation restrictions may apply. Expenses not specifically stated are the sole responsibility of the winner. Winners must sign and return a liability release that Reading Is Fundamental, Inc., will furnish prior to issuance of travel documents. Winners and nominators must sign and return a publicity release prior to issuance of travel documents, to grant permission for Reading Is Fundamental, Inc., and organizations acting under authority of Reading Is Fundamental, Inc., to use the winners and nominators' names, photograph, voice and/or likeness, for publicity purposes, without additional compensation. By entering the competition, entrants accept and agree to these guidelines and the decision of the judge, which shall be final.