There is a significant and cyclical literacy crisis in America today, and it begins with our children. Twenty-five million children in the U.S. cannot read proficiently and the disruption in education due to the pandemic has worsened the problem as millions of children missed out on academic learning in the classroom; younger and lower-income students have experienced the most significant loss.
As the nation’s largest children’s literacy non-profit, Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) is facing America’s literacy crisis head-on. We are looking for an experienced educational technology professional with a passion for children’s literacy to ensure our digital products provide measurable value for educators, children, and families, are easy and fun to use, and evolve to support learners in a changing world. Join us in the effort to support children in finding the JOY in reading by making books and engaging resources accessible to all and set America’s children on a path of growth and opportunity
The Work You’ll Do
- With a user-centered and strategic approach, design and implement effective product roadmaps that align with our strategic plan and leverage the strengths of our current products (RIF.org, Literacy Central, Literacy Network, and Skybrary) while developing future capabilities. Take ownership of managing the creation of product enhancements with our engineering team, for example, scaling up to support middle school learners.
- Establish systems to gather qualitative and quantitative feedback from our users while incorporating market trend analysis and relevant site analytics to optimize our products to deliver high-quality integrated digital experiences that are compelling and meet our user’s needs and stakeholder requirements.
- Collaborate with children’s literacy experts and members of our marketing, programs & content, and development teams to translate business strategy into seamless efficient product enhancements to support RIF’s mission through a diverse, engaging, stable, and sustainable digital portfolio.
- Manage and evolve the content management system (Drupal) that supports the majority of the digital portfolio.
- Manage vendor relationships to ensure our digital portfolio remains relevant and adapts to the rapidly changing digital environment.
- Be an advocate for children’s literacy by developing relevant digital products that promote and support literacy.
Salary, Work Environment, and Benefits
- RIF supports our employees’ work-life balance. You’ll enjoy a hybrid work schedule with at least three days in our Washington, D.C. office and telework available on Wednesdays and Fridays.
- RIF offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental & vision plans, generous annual leave, a 403(b) plan with company contribution, and company-paid life and disability.
- To protect the health and well-being of our colleagues and maintain the safety of the communities where we operate, we follow CDC, federal and local guidance to help minimize the spread of COVID-19. RIF requires employees to be fully vaccinated before their start date. Proof of vaccination is required and will be kept confidential.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 7-10 years of experience in all aspects of product development.
- Proven track record of managing a variety of technology platforms.
- Demonstrated success with project management, project budgeting, and vendor relations.
- Experience working with key stakeholders to define product requirements based on business objectives and stakeholder input.
- Understanding of content management systems; Drupal is preferred.
- Experience in K-12 education or consumer-based children’s products is preferred.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- As the primary product lead, you will own the strategy for our entire suite of products, build from our strong network of active and engaged users, and usher our organization into the next era of what educators and children need to succeed through reading.
- You’ll work alongside an innovative team of professionals passionate about reaching learners to support a culture of literacy and deliver collective impact nationwide.
- Throughout our 55-year history, RIF has been a champion of racial justice and equity through literacy. Your work will ensure that our products support reducing the gap in reading performance among underrepresented student populations.
About Reading Is Fundamental
Reading Is Fundamental is committed to a literate America by inspiring a passion for reading among all children, providing quality content to make an impact and engaging communities in the solution to give every child the fundamentals for success. We believe every child deserves an opportunity to own books, learn how to read, and obtain the fundamental building blocks to achieve their highest potential. Literacy opens doors and enables every child the chance to live their own journey. Through partnerships with book publishers, volunteers, community groups, organizations, and like-minded corporations, we have distributed more than 420 million books and impacted the lives of more than 72 million children in all 50 states, D.C., and Puerto Rico.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position description; we will consider people from a variety of backgrounds and career experiences.
Simply visit this link to learn more about how to apply, or email your resume to Lilly Khan at firstname.lastname@example.org with “RIF – Product Manager, Digital Products #2022-2743 CW” as the subject.
Staffing Advisors is committed to reducing bias in every aspect of the hiring process. We have long recommended an evidence-based approach to hiring. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening, potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.